Iraqi FM Condemns Attack on KRG PM Office in Call with Iranian Counterpart
Iraqi FM Condemns Attack on KRG PM Office in Call with Iranian Counterpart

In a phone call on Monday with Iran’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Abbas Aragchi, Iraqi Minister of Foreign Affairs Fuad Hussein called the latest drone attack — which directly targeted the office of Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Prime Minister Masrour Barzani — unjustified and unprecedented.


Foreign Minister Hussein noted that previous attacks had been justified by the presence of Iranian opposition parties or factions in the Kurdistan Region. 


“However, the latest attack directly targeted the residence of the Prime Minister of the KRG, making it a dangerous precedent that could further escalate tensions and threaten regional stability,” he said. 


Foreign Minister Hussein condemned the incident and requested clarification of Iran’s official position regarding the incident, stressing that such acts constitute a dangerous escalation that could have negative repercussions for Iraq’s security and regional stability.


Foreign Minister Araghchi expressed his surprise at the occurrence of such an attack, explaining that he had no information indicating that the attacks had originated from Iranian territory. He stressed that there was no justification for such acts, particularly in light of the positive relations between the government of Iran and the KRG.


Foreign Minister Araghchi reaffirmed his country’s rejection of anything that could fuel escalation or undermine stability and pledged to issue an official statement clarifying the government of Iran’s position on the incident.


In a later post on X, Foreign Minister Araghchi also said that “nothing justifies the reckless attack on PM Barzani’s office. Kurdish friends should be vigilant against false-flag ploys to sow discord between neighbors,” adding that “Iran protected the Iraqi Kurds against Saddam and ISIS.”


Monday’s attacks, which also targeted the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency, have been condemned by EU member states, the United States, UK, Palestine, and the UAE.


On Monday, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly condemned the two Iranian drone attacks on the private office of KRG Prime Minister Barzani and the residence of the Director of the Protection Agency in Erbil, calling them a “flagrant violation of the sovereignty of the Republic of Iraq and Iraqi Kurdistan.”


EU MP Evin Incir called the attacks unacceptable and a threat to the security and stability of the region. “The sovereignty and security of the Kurdistan Region and Iraq must be fully respected,” she posted on Instagram.


On Monday, Türkiye’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Hakan Fidan held separate telephone calls with Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani and KRG Prime Minister Barzani following the attacks.



Wladimir van Wilgenburg

A seasoned reporter and analyst who specializes in Kurdish affairs.

Iraq PM Orders Probe Into Attack on KRG PM Barzani’s Office
US, EU, UK Strongly Condemn Attacks on KRG PM Office

X
Copyright ©2023 KurdistanChronicle.com. All rights reserved