PM Barzani Vows to Continue Progress Despite Khor Mor Attack
PM Barzani Vows to Continue Progress Despite Khor Mor Attack
December 01, 2025

Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said on Saturday that Dana Gas will restart production within the next several hours to help restore electricity disrupted by Wednesday’s attack on the Khor Mor gas field. 

“We will continue our journey for progress and prosperity, and I urge the public to continue to support the government’s efforts and agenda,” he said.

“I want to thank the Kurdistani people for their patience and resilience following the terror attack on the Kurdistan Region’s gas infrastructure a few days ago,” Prime Minister Barzani said. “The patriotic people of the Kurdistan Region by and large have condemned this attack as an attack against every citizen, cutting power to millions of people in the Kurdistan Region and the rest of Iraq.”

Around 80% of the Kurdistan Region’s electricity is generated from gas. The attack on the Khor Mor gas field halted gas supply to power stations, causing a widespread blackout, the KRG Ministry of Electricity previously said.

Prime Minister Barzani added that he had reassured Dana Gas, which is running the Khor Mor Gas field, that the “KRG will do all it can with partners in the federal government to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent further terror attacks. In parallel, we are working with our international partners to secure the capabilities necessary to protect our people, critical infrastructure and investments.”

Read More: Drone Attack Targets Khor Mor Gas Field

Last Friday, a joint KRG-Iraqi delegation visited the field and said they would announce the results of their investigation within 48 hours. The Khor Mor field was attacked last Wednesday, causing a major electricity blackout across the Kurdistan Region, as the region’s 24/7 electricity program relies on gas from the field.

The attack was not the first carried out on Khor Mor by militia groups. Prime Minister Barzani said that so far 11 attacks have targeted Khor Mor field. “This incident cannot be allowed to pass without public accountability. It cannot become the norm,” Prime Minister Barzani warned.

The KRG’s Ministry of Interior said on Thursday that between June 15 and July 25, 2025, several sites were targeted by drone attacks, yet the Iraqi government took no action against the perpetrators, despite an investigative report identifying those responsible.

“During this attack, it became patently clear that the adversaries and hired fixers could not fathom the progress of the Kurdistan Region or the well-being of its people. They instead resorted to cowardly, inhumane acts and plunged the public into darkness,” Prime Minister Barzani added.

“Unfortunately, those people were known, and the names and the name of groups were clearly communicated with the federal government,” Prime Minister Barzani said during the Middle East Peace and Security Forum last week, about the groups that attacked the oil infrastructure in the Kurdistan Region. 

“Some people were even arrested. But then they were released on bail, and they didn’t face the consequences that they were supposed to. And that basically shouldn’t happen in a country where the law should be above all.”

Read More: Kurdish, Iraqi Leaders Pledge to Identify Khor Mor Attackers

KRG Prime Minister Barzani last Thursday received a phone call from Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia’ al-Sudani, who condemned the drone attack on the Khor Mor gas field and promised to arrest the perpetrators.

“I have urged Prime Minister al-Sudani to hold the perpetrators of this attack accountable to the full extent of the law, whoever they may be and wherever they are,” Prime Minister Barzani said. 

“That is the only true deterrence, and on this occasion, we expect serious measures to reassure the public and investors that this will not happen again. Iraq cannot attract investment when militias, mafias, the corrupt, and armed groups outside of the state’s control willingly bomb national infrastructure and investments at zero cost and find satisfaction in the suffering of the people of the Kurdistan Region. We condemn the individuals and groups that have celebrated this situation.”


X
Copyright ©2023 KurdistanChronicle.com. All rights reserved